Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Unique Libraries, International Edition

To continue from where my last blog left off, I decided to do an international edition of unique and interesting libraries. The first one is:

Trinity College Library - Dublin, Ireland


This library was founded in 1592 by Queen Elizabeth I. It's Long Room contains over 200,000 of the library's oldest books as well as busts of famous writers and one of the oldest harps in Ireland. The Trinity College Library is also home to The Book of Kells.


Bishan Public Library - Bishan, Singapore


The Bishan Public Library covers 4,000 square meters and was designed to look like a tree house. The pods on one side building protrude out of the wall and are supposed to resemble books on a bookshelf. The pods are actually private reading spaces.


Alexandria Library - Alexandria, Egypt



The library was opened in 2002 after 10 years of planning and construction. It was built with the original Royal Library of Alexandria, built over 2,300 years ago, in mind. Aside from the libraries, there are four museums also housed in the building.


Jose Vasconcelos Library - Mexico City, Mexico


The library is glass and concrete, designed by Alberto Kalach. The design makes it appear that the book shelves are hanging in midair while in the center of the library is a giant whale skeleton hanging from the ceiling.

3 comments:

  1. Wow these are super interesting! I think my favorite one is the one from Singapore! I would love to be curled up with a book in one of those little areas overhanging the street below, especially if the floor was see-through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am drooling over here, thanks a lot! These are amazing and beautiful places which speak to my soul. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to go these places! I've always wanted to travel anyway. What better way then to spend at least one day at a library filled with their history?

    ReplyDelete